Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Classics Club Spin #16

It's time for a Classics Club Spin! The way this works is that I pick twenty books from my Classics Club list, list them in this post, and then on Friday, November 17th, the folks over at Classicsclub.com will pick a number. I have until the end of December to read that book! According to them, to make this really worthwhile, I should pick 5 books I want to read, 5 books I'm procrastinating/dreading, 5 I'm neutral about, and 5 free choice. However, as I look at my list, I feel more analysis paralysis instead. So I'm going to let RNG figure out my 20 books for me. My only rule is that I am picking shorter books. I still have two left from my Back to the Classics Challenge plus it's December! I don't really want to be saddled with The Count of Monte Cristo. So below is my list of 20 books for the Spin.

1. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
2. The Time Machine by H. G. Wells
3. A Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare
4. 1984 by George Orwell
5. A Room With a View by E. M. Forster
6. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
7. The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain
8. Daniel Deronda by George Eliot
9. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
10. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
11. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
12. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie
13. Sanditon and other Tales by Jane Austen (includes her Juvenalia)
14. Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi
15. The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
16. The Song of the Lark by Willa Cather
17. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
18. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
19. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
20. Possession by A. S. Byatt

14 comments:

  1. What a great list! I hope you get #17. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 17 is definitely an excellent one! I last read it when I was in Middle School, so it's beyond time.

      Delete
    2. I haven't read it in years! I SHOULD REVISIT. :)

      Delete
  2. And I hope you get 17, an amazing book! My list is here: https://wordsandpeace.com/2017/11/08/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-16/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. There's a ton here I've never even heard of! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Great choices! I spy several favorites and a few I want to read as well.

    Here's my spin list: https://dwellinpossibilityblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/08/classics-club-spin-16/#more-16476

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely ones here! Hope you get one you want to read!

      Delete
  4. I just listened to Murder on the Orient Express, and it was such fun. But I do hope you get Willa Cather, one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much good stuff on your list! Being a big Sherlock Holmes fan I hope you get A Study in Scarlet. But whatever you get, I hope you enjoy it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have several of the same ones! I have 1984, Jane Eyre and The Secret Garden on my list too :) And I love Wuthering Heights...so good! The perfect fall read. Murder on the Orient Express was really good too. I listened to the narration done by Dan Stevens and it was fabulous! Excited for Nov. 17th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to stop looking at these lists, because I keep seeing more I want to add to my Classics Club list! I guess I'd better start a second Classics Club list for if/when I finish the first... :) We've got a couple overlaps in our lists, and you've got a bunch of great ones I didn't think of! I also really hope I don't get stuck reading The Count of Monte Cristo... :D

    ~Elley~
    https://elleyotter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I intentionally left it off this spin. I suspect Count will be a fairly long endeavor when I do finally get to it.

      Delete
  8. We share The Song of the Lark this spin - I adored my first Cather (My Antonia) so have high hopes for this one too :-)

    PS Did you mean to leave out the 'b' in climbing in your header?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geeze. That's a lovely typo from when I started this in January that I didn't even notice. Thanks... fixed now.

      I read My Antonia when I was in high school. I liked it then, though I imagine I'd get a lot more out of it now!

      Delete